- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsalted dry-roasted almonds, coarsely chopped (3 oz)
- FOR GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 drop pure almond extract (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted dry-roasted almonds, coarsely chopped (3/4 oz)
Preheat oven to 350F with rack in center of oven. Butter and flour pan bundt 6 cup mold or 9 - inch square baking pan, resulting in uninterrupted excess flour.
Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Rub the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles oatmeal. Add eggs, milk and extracts only until flour mixture is moistened. Add almonds and Spread batter evenly in baking dish.
Bake the cake until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cake cool in the pan on a rack 20 minutes, then reverse the rack and cool completely.
Mixing powdered sugar, and cream extracts until smooth and drizzle on the cake. Sprinkle with almonds.